Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Debtadviser: Help friend by listening, not loaning

Dear Debt Adviser,

My best friend has a problem with a lawyer representing a credit-card bank that's trying to collect on a debt. I have a credit card with this bank myself, and I have never had any problems. ... I'm going to help my best friend by paying what debt he owes because it is not that much. How should I pay (the bank) to get documentation or a receipt?

-- Roberto

Dear Roberto,

I can understand you wanting to help a friend. That's what good friends do. However, the fact that the amount is "not that much" should not be the only factor in your decision to pay your friend's debt. I'd like you to consider several other things before you make the payment.

First, paying the debt may ruin your friendship. Money has a way of eroding even the best relationships if given half a chance. For example, you may end up resenting your friend if he continues to mismanage his money and requests your help in the future. Your friend may regret allowing you to help and feel a sense of obligation or humiliation that he would rather not feel.

Second, consider whether paying your friend's debt will actually solve the problem. Is it just a symptom of a larger financial issue? In other words, by paying the debt, will you be helping him put a Band-Aid on conduct that may become a more serious problem?

Third, remember that no good act goes unpunished. I have seen people cast as the Antichrist because they seem to have more than their share of money or luck. More than one's share can mean any amount the other party doesn't have. Read more

No comments: